Attic fire damages Morris home
MORRIS – Just before 7 p.m. on Wednesday, April 16, residents at 14 S. Oregon Avenue in Morris called 911 after hearing cracking sounds coming from their attic.
When the Morris Fire Department arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the roof vents and eves of the home. Members of the Morris Fire Department entered the home and climbed on the roof to investigate.
“Firefighters had to open up large holes on the roof to get access to the fire in the attic and make a stop before it went across the entire structure,” said Morris Fire Chief Dave Dybdal.
The fire was caused by a chimney pipe, which started the interior wall on fire. The fire then spread to the attic. The roof and west side of the house suffered extensive damage, said Dybdal.
“It’s a good thing the residents called 911 when they did – another 15 minutes and the outcome could have been very different,” added Dybdal.
The Morris Fire Department responded with 26 firefighters, two engines, one heavy rescue vehicle, one ladder truck and a grass rig. One firefighter was treated for exhaustion and given oxygen on the scene by EMS personnel.
Other agencies who responded included the Morris Police Department, Stevens County Sheriff’s Department and the Stevens County Ambulance Service.