The PRCA (Prairie Renaissance Cultural Alliance) is sponsoring a musical event by !Viva Mexico! on Saturday, Oct. 5. This is a free event, open to the public. At 3 p.m. in the library meeting room, there will be a workshop on music and storytelling for all ages. That evening, outside the back door of the PRCA Art Gallery, 630 Atlantic Ave, there will be a Mexican dinner provided and prepared by our local Lazos group with live music of !Viva Mexico!, a mariachi band. This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through grants from the Lake Region Arts Council, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund.
Noted Minnesota photographer, Doug Ohman is returning to Morris with a presentation of Minnesota cemeteries on Wednesday, Oct. 23 at 6:30 p.m. at the library. This event is sponsored by Viking Library System with funding from the Minnesota Arts and Heritage Legacy Fund. Join us, just in time for Halloween.
During the MEA (Minnesota Educators Association) break, the library will be hosting a movie matinee for children of all ages, Thursday, Oct. 17 at 2 p.m. Popcorn and water will be provided. This event is sponsored by Alan Saugstad and the Friends of the Morris Public Library.
The library has added a few new magazine subscriptions to our collection: Family Tree (genealogy), Hobby Farms, Love of Quilting, Travel 50+; and for the children: American Girl, Kids Discovery, Scooby Doo, and ZooBooks (baby animals).
Another new exciting subscription for us is an online resume building database from Cypress Press. There is a link on our webpage, in the Business and Career section and icons will be on our public computers. We hope you find these additional resources helpful.
Our display case in October features pop-up books belonging to Barbara McGinnis. Previous displays have been: turtles, birds, cats, hippos, delftware, vinyl record covers, teapots, and music boxes. If you have a collection you would like to share, contact the library to schedule a month to display it: 320-589-1634.
A selection of spooky and/or horror books for Halloween include:
• A Good Night for Ghosts by Mary Pope Osborne (J Osb)
• Halloween by Amy Margaret (J 394.2646 Mar)
• Halloween Crafts by Fay Robinson (745.594 Rob)
• Haunted – ghost stories (J Hau)
• Let’s Throw a Halloween Party by Rachel Lynette (J 793.2 Lyn)
• Scary Stories to Read when its Dark by Arnold Lobel (J Lob)
• Campfire Thrillers (short stories) edited by Rebecca Rizzo (808.83 C15)
• Ghost at Work (mystery) by Carolyn Hart (M Har)
• Ghostly Tales of Minnesota by Ruth Hein (133.1 Hei)
• Midnight Voices by John Saul (Sa8)
• Winter Haunting by Dan Simmons (Si4)
• Women and Ghosts (short stories) by Alison Lurie (L97)