There is no school for Morris Area students Thursday and Friday, Nov. 7 and 8 because of parent-teacher conferences. Sharon Ehlers has arranged for a movie matinee on Thursday at 2:00 p.m. for students. It is an animated movie, rated PG. The movie is sponsored by Allan Saugstad and the Friends of the Morris Library. It will be shown in the library meeting room.
The Sons of Norway have invited Minnesota author Candace Simar to speak at their lodge meeting, Monday evening, Nov. 18. She may also be reading poetry that afternoon with Linda Hodgson at the Prairie Inn in Morris. Candace Simar is the author of four historical novels (Abercrombie Trail, Pomme de Terre, Birdie, and Blooming Prairie) set in Minnesota during its settlement during pioneer days and the Dakota Indian uprising battle.
A group of University of Minnesota, Morris students will be hosting two Computer Basics classes in November for anyone who has questions or would like one-on-one help with computer issues. If you have a technology question and would like help with the computers, stop by the library at 9 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 9 and 16 (please use the side, staff entrance) for personal assistance.
Our display case in November features antique children’s pressing irons that Arnie Stein has collected over the years. If you have a collection you would like to share, contact the library at 320-589-1634 to schedule a month to display it.
The library is closed Monday, Nov. 11 for Veterans’ Day and again on Thursday and Friday, Nov 28 and 29 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
As you go over the hill and through the woods to visit family, travel safely and enjoy these books:
• The Cat Who Talked Turkey by Lilian Jackson Braun (mystery, M Bra)
• A Catered Thanksgiving by Isis Crawford (M Cra)
• Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World by Bill Clinton (audio book, 361.7 C61)
• In Glad Thanksgiving by John Masefield (poetry, 821.9 M37)
• Life Among the Lutherans by Garrison Keillor (short stories, F Kei)
• New Thanksgiving Table by Diane Morgan (cookbook, 641.568 Mor)
• An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving (movie, DVD #1856)
• Over the River and Through the Wood by L Maria Child (childrens, E Chi)
• A Quilter’s Holiday by Jennifer Chiaverini (fiction, F Chi)
• Thanksgiving Recipes by Ronnie Rooney (cookbook, J 641.568 Roo)