In the last column I reviewed programming and events for 2012. This time, I thought I would share some statistics.
- We were open 303 days in 2012.
- 481 new library cards were issued (last year we issued 472 new cards).
- The meeting room was scheduled for 334 events (107 for library events).
- We were assisted by 11 volunteers who put in over 400 hours.
- 112,647 items circulated, which is down a bit from last year (115,312).
- 1,688 e- books were checked out (not included in circulation stats, above).
- Laptops were checked out 1,156 times since we received them mid 2011.
- Our six computers were used 9,629 times in 2012.
- 605 items were requested from libraries outside of the Viking system.
- We loaned 658 items to libraries outside of the Viking system.
- 7,190 items were requested from other Viking Libraries.
- We loaned 8, 772 items to other Viking Libraries.
- $5,474 was collected in fines.
- $1,904 was collected for photocopies.
- $553 was received in donations to the library (not to the FRIENDS group).
- Magazines we sell for $.10 an issue brought in $655.00.
- 1,046 children attended the 45 Story-times offered this year.
- 1,376 children participated in the 26 Summer Reading events we scheduled.
Our display case this month features the music boxes belonging to Irene Hagen. The display case is booked through July, but if you have a collection you would like to share, contact the library to schedule a month to display them – 320-589-1634.
The library will be closed on Monday, Feb. 18 for President’s Day.
A selection of the best books in 2012 according to BookPage includes:
- Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker
- By the Iowa Sea Joe Blair
- Canada by Richard Ford
- End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe
- Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver
- Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan
- Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman
- Mortality by Christopher Hitchens
- Round House by Louise Erdrich
- This is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz
- Wild by Cheryl Strayed