Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Brock Lesnar will return to the ring

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
sports Morris,Minnesota 56267 http://www.morrissuntribune.com/sites/all/themes/morrissuntribune_theme/images/social_default_image.png
Morris Sun Tribune
320-589-4357 customer support
Brock Lesnar will return to the ring
Morris Minnesota 607 Pacific Avenue 56267

He's back.

UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar cleared up any doubts of whether or not he would ever be back in the octagon again when he and UFC president Dana White were interviewed on ESPN Sportscenter this past Wednesday.

Advertisement
Advertisement

White said the plan is for Lesnar to fight this summer. He will likely face the winner of Shane Carwin and Frank Mir, a fight that is scheduled for March 27 in Newark, New Jersey.

Lesnar spoke at length about the illness that put his career in jeopardy this past fall. Lesnar was diagnosed with a severe case of diverticulitis, which is swelling of the diverticulum in the large intestinal wall.

Lesnar was originally diagnosed with mononucleosis but said he never felt that was the full extent of his illness. While on a hunting trip with his family in Canada, Lesnar awoke with extreme pain that forced him into a hospital.

"One night, I woke up and I was in severe shock," he said in his Sportscenter interview. "I had a 104 temperature and felt like I had been shot in the guts."

Lesnar was transferred from the hospital in Canada to Medcenter One in Bismarck, North Dakota. Doctors there put him on antibiotics and pain medications with the hope that he could heal himself rather than performing emergency surgery.

"The other side of it was to go in and remove part of my colon and wear a colonoscopy bag and pretty much end my career," Lesnar said. "[The doctor] waited until the eighth hour mark. I take my hat off to the doctors there at Medcenter One for saving my life and my career."

Lesnar spent 11 days in the hospital and lost 40 pounds in the process, while being fed intravenously.

Once released from the hospital in Bismarck, Lesnar decided he wanted a second opinion from the Mayo Clinic on whether or not surgery would eventually be needed to remove part of his colon. Doctors from both hospitals told him that he would need to have the surgery performed, something that could not be done until the swelling subsided.

Lesnar said he wanted to do everything he could to avoid the surgery if at all possible. After a checkup on the first of the year, he came home and got back in the gym.

Lesnar gained almost 30 pounds back since his 11 days in the hospital. He returned to the doctor on January 5. In that check-up, Lesnar said doctors were amazed to find that he had healed on his own.

"A miracle," Lesnar called it. "They were dumbfounded. They couldn't find any sign of any problem in my stomach. It's just a miracle to me. I actually had to go back to the doctor yesterday and get another CT scan on my stomach because I still just can't believe it."

Avoiding surgery means that Lesnar will be back in the octagon this summer, barring anything unexpected. His next title fight will be one that he will no doubt appreciate after seeing his career almost taken away from him this past fall.

"I got a different take on life," Lesnar said. "When you get everything taken away from you and you're laying helplessly in a hospital bed. I'm not sure if I'm ever going to get back into the octagon, something that I have grown to just love to do. This is my life.

"I've always been in control. Always been in control of my life and my surroundings. For me to sit there for 15-30 days and not have control of anything, let me tell you. I gotta thank my wife and family for sticking by my side, Dana and the UFC. These people put everything on the line for Brock Lesnar. For them to be sitting here and be backing me, it makes me feel really good."

Advertisement
news@morrissuntribune.com
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness