Conrad Jergenson, age 94, of Minneapolis, died on March 31, 2009.
Conrad Stanley Jergenson was born in rural Donnelly to George and Laura Jergenson on June 28, 1914.
Following graduation from Morris High School, he completed a course at St. Cloud State College. He taught at a rural school in Webster for one year. He attended the Lutheran Bible Institute, Minneapolis, for one year and spent the summer traveling with the LBI Male Quartet, singing in several states and in Canada.
Conrad completed college at Augsburg, graduating with a B.A. degree, and entered Augsburg Seminary. He spent his second seminary year at the New York Seminary in Manhattan and returned to Augsburg to complete seminary studies, graduating in 1940. He was ordained into the Lutheran Free Church in June, 1940.
He served his first parish in Bemidji, Minn., and then became Navy chaplain at Norfolk, Va. He was called in 1943 to join the pastoral staff at Trinity Lutheran Church of Minnehaha Falls in Minneapolis. In 1945 he accepted a call to serve at Trinity Lutheran Church in East Duluth, and as pastor of the newly-formed Kenwood Church.
On July 25, 1947, he married Marjorie Schei of Minneapolis. After mission itineration and necessary preparations, Conrad and Marge left Minneapolis in January, 1948, for France under The Sudan Mission, an inter-synodical Lutheran Mission.
They arrived in Douala, seaport of Cameroun, on Oct. 2, 1949, and were stationed at Baboua, Central African Republic. After a few months they began the first Bible School, together with Pastor Lloyd Sand. Conrad's main work was teaching and counseling the Bible School students, as well as supervising many building projects.
The Jergensons have three sons and one daughter, all born in Africa.
After two terms teaching at the Bible School, the Jergensons were asked to move to Meiganga, Cameroun, to teach at the first seminary for the training of future pastors. As preparation for this new assignment, during furlough between the second and third missionary terms, Conrad spent a year in post-graduate study at Luther Theological Seminary (1958-1959), and received his Master of Theology degree. After two terms teaching at the Meiganga seminary, Conrad felt called to congregational ministry in America. The family returned to Minneapolis, and Conrad traveled for several months on behalf of missions. He accepted a call in June 1971 to pastor the Albion Lutheran Church, rural St. James, Minn.
On Oct. 1, 1979 the Jergensons moved to Minneapolis to retire. On March 1, 1980, Conrad was asked to join the pastoral staff of Trinity Lutheran Church of Minnehaha Falls, where he had served from 1943-1945. Conrad retired a second time on June 30, 2005, at the age of 91.
Conrad enjoyed several years as a member of the Augsburg Centennial Singers. Conrad and Marge made friends worldwide. Conrad is survived by his wife. Marge; sons: Pastor Allen (Jeri) Jergenson, Foley, Minn.; Stephen (Margaret) Jergenson, Omaha, Neb.; David, Madison Lake, Minn.; and daughter, Marcia Jergenson, Minneapolis; five grandchildren: Tessa and Douglas of St. Cloud and Molly, Casey and Ryan of Omaha. He is also survived by brothers: David (Julette) of Cyrus; Pastor Arnold (JoAnn) of Silverdale, Wash.; and sisters: Ruth Strand of Morris; Grace Mills of Waconia, Minn.; and Palma Johnson of Burtrum, Minn.; as well as many nephews, nieces and friends, and many second cousins in Norway. Conrad was preceded in death by infant son, Gary, his parents, and siblings: Arden, Mabel, Lawrence, Ruben and Alfred.
Funeral services were held at Trinity Lutheran Church of Minnehaha Falls in Minneapolis, on Saturday, April 4. Washburn-McReavy Nokomis Park Chapel was in charge of arrangements.