Cougar football underdogs in UMAC for 2014
UMM Sports Information
The University of Minnesota, Morris was selected to finish sixth in the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference this season after receiving 41 points in the UMAC Coaches Poll.
St. Scholastica was chosen to repeat as UMAC Champions after receiving a league high 74 points and five first place votes in the 10 team conference.
2014 UMAC Football Coaches' Poll
1. 74 points – College of St. Scholastica (5 First place votes)
2. 70 points – Greenville College (2)
3. 69 points – Univ. of Northwestern (2)
4. 55 points – Eureka College (1)
5. 49 points – Crown College
6. 41 points – Univ. of Minnesota Morris
7. 32 points – Westminster College
8. 29 points – Martin Luther College
9. 21 points – Iowa Wesleyan College
10. 10 points – MacMurray College
Minnesota Morris goes into the 2014 season looking to bounce back from a 3-7 season (3-6 UMAC) last year. The Cougars were competitive in nearly every game last season, losing five games by just eight points or less.
The team returns a total of 19 starters from the 2013 squad which should help the Cougars transition into the 2014 season. Cody Hickman will lead the defensive once again in 2014. Hickman is coming off an All-UMAC year and received some All-Region attention after leading the league in tackles, averaging 14 tackles per game in the 2013 season. Hickman will be joined by seven other defensive returners.
Offensively the Cougars lost a pair of wide receivers, including All-UMAC performer and CoSIDA All-American Brendon Foss. However, both quarterbacks return as does leading rusher Dustin Spohn who averaged 62 yards per game and had seven touchdowns last season. The Cougars will also return three other pass catchers and a couple offensive lineman which should help the team transition offensively as they look to climb the UMAC standings this season.