Early morning fire destroys home in Cyrus
An early Tuesday morning fire at the Mark and Kim Erdahl home in Cyrus destroyed the home, but the family was able to escape safely.
Mark Erdahl said he was on his way to the bathroom when he heard a strange crackling noise. When he looked out the bedroom window, he saw flames. He yelled to his wife, Kim, to get the kids out of the house. The Erdahls have two children. All were able to get out of the house safely and headed to their neighbor's house to call the fire department.
Kim Erdahl reports that the flames on the west side of the home were 10 to 15 feet high as they were leaving.
Cyrus Fire Chief Jeff Pring reports that the call came in shortly after 4 a.m. and firefighters were able to get the blaze under control within a half hour.
The Morris and Starbuck fire departments were called for mutual aid.
Pring says the fire was electrical in nature and appeared to have started in the kitchen.
The fire marshal has declared the home a total loss due to major smoke and water damage throughout.