Hancock Looking Back 8-20-09
10 YEARS AGO
(Taken from the Thursday, August 19, 1999 issue of the Hancock Record.)
Charges have been filed against four people following the August 6th drug raid in this area. The charges were filed against Shawn Richard Anderson, Frank Anthony Rizzi, Mateo Morales and Mark Everett Nevala.
Each of these four were charged with conspiracy to manufacture methamphetamine. Anderson, Rizzi and Morales were also charged with endangering human life while illegally manufacturing a controlled substance.
15 YEARS AGO
(Taken from the Thursday, August 25, 1994 issue of the Hancock Record.)
The first of two foreign exchange students to our community has arrived. Nijjaporn (nicknamed Nij) Potikanon from Bangkok, Thailand will be spending the next year in the home of Darlene Swank.
Members of the Minnesota Championship Team from Morris-Hancock boarded a Hancock School bus to travel to the Babe Ruth World Series in Pine Bluff, AR.
40 YEARS AGO
(Taken from the Thursday, August 21, 1969 issue of the Hancock Record.)
Sandy Allen, one-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Larry Allen of Swift Falls, was killed on Wednesday morning of last week when run over by a truck. The Allens were formerly employed by C. R. Koehl, but had lived at Swift Falls since last fall. The little girl had been playing under a truck which had been parked in front of her home. The driver of the truck did not know that the child was underneath the truck when he started the vehicle. At the time of the accident, the girl's mother, Mrs. Allen, was in the Swift County Hospital at Benson and gave birth to a boy that afternoon.
Mrs. John Boon announces the engagement of her daughter, Sandra Kay of Minneapolis, to Mr. Duane Zeltwagner of Minneapolis, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lowell Zeltwanger of Hancock. No wedding date has been set.
75 YEARS AGO
(Taken from the Friday, August 24, 1934 issue of the Hancock Record.)
While driving along the road near the Carlson farm three miles east of the village Friday, Walt Marquart's car caught fire and was totally destroyed. As far as can be ascertained, the fire was started by a short circuit in the wires and as soon as Walt discovered the fire he drove into the ditch and just had time to get out of the car before getting scorched. The fire was so hot that it melted portions of the window glass and windshield which was hot enough for anyone.
It was baseball day in Hancock last Sunday and the largest crowd we have seen around that park for many a day was on hand to see the Orphans push Alberta over and climb up on the top roost with a team that had not lost a game so far this season. The line of autos were packed in side by side around three sides of the big field and there were many from town who walked over and sat just in front of the cars, on the ground.
100 YEARS AGO
(Taken from the Friday, August 20, 1909 issue of the Hancock Record.)
The intense heat of Wednesday was doubtless the cause of the death of John McCauley, a field hand who was working for R. Platow of the town of Westbank, some seventeen miles southwest of Here. Mr. Platow saw him go to the jug and take a drink of water and when he came around again with the binder saw him lying on the ground. He went to him and found him unconscious, took him to the house and telephoned for Dr. Scofield. Before the doctor could get there he was dead, never having regained his senses. --Benson Times
Repairs on the local water tower, including repainting, were commenced this week.