Horticulture Day Open House scheduled at University of Minnesota NCROC – Grand Rapids
GRAND RAPIDS, Minn. — The University of Minnesota North Central Research & Outreach Center (NCROC) will hold its annual Horticulture Day Open House (rain or shine!) on Wednesday, August 28, 2013.
NCROC is the only agricultural research station in the continental United States with a horticulture program located in the cold climate of USDA Plant Hardiness Zone 3. In addition, the research and outreach center is an All American Selections Display Garden. During the open house guests can take part in featured activities, walk through the plots and high tunnels, and visit various displays. University of Minnesota specialists and Extension educators will be on site to explain research activities and answer questions.
This open house event will begin at 2 p.m. with tours continuing until 6 p.m. and will feature the following activities:
· Apple orchard tour
· Blueberry and strawberry informational talks
· High tunnel developments including experiments with oxygen supplementation and with tree fruits
· Healthful gardening/phytonutrient presentation
· Visits to research plots of annual flowers – both sun and shade adapted – including nearly 300 varieties in the field and many baskets and containers
· Discussions of chrysanthemum development, hydrangea trials, asparagus disease research, cherry and honeyberry varieties
· “Ask a Master Gardener” table and “Plant Disease Diagnostic” area staffed by University of Minnesota Master Gardeners and plant pathologists – bring your samples and questions
· Wagon ride tours of the grounds
Learn how University of Minnesota horticulture research affects your life! Active gardeners, commercial producers, and all those interested in gardening are cordially invited to attend this educational and enjoyable day. Horticulture Day is free and open to everyone. Come early to enjoy the tours and see the wide range of horticulture activities happening at NCROC! The University of Minnesota North Central Research & Outreach Center is located on the east edge of Grand Rapids at 1861 East US Highway 169. For more information, contact the North Central Research & Outreach Center at 218-327-4490 ext. 2001.