UPDATE: Interstate 94 REOPENS from Alexandria to Fergus Falls
DETROIT LAKES – (6:00 a.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation and the Minnesota State Patrol opened eastbound Interstate 94 from Fergus Falls to Alexandria at 8:30 a.m. Westbound I-94 from Alexandria to Fergus Falls is still closed.
Current driving conditions in parts of west central Minnesota remain difficult due to freezing rain which fell overnight. Motorists should still use extreme caution when traveling.
MnDOT reminds motorists to be patient while snowplow operators work to improve driving conditions and prepare for additional snowfall.
After a storm motorists should:
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511; it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back at least five car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud. Snowplow operators will pull over when it is safe to do so to allow traffic build-up to pass.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. They may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.