Interstate 94 open from Alexandria to Moorhead, no travel advisory lifted
DETROIT LAKES, Minn. – (2 p.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation and the Minnesota State Patrol opened Interstate 94 between Alexandria and Moorhead at 2 p.m.
Highways now open include:
• Interstate 94 from Alexandria to Moorhead
• Highway 10 from Moorhead to Audubon
• Highway 210 from Fergus Falls to Breckenridge
The no travel advisory in west central Minnesota has been lifted, but current driving conditions are difficult due to drifting snow, blowing snow and icy patches. Motorists should still use extreme caution when traveling.
MnDOT reminds motorists to be patient while snowplow operators work to improve driving conditions. The majority of snowplow crashes take place during “clean up” when motorists resume their normal speeds.
After a storm motorists should:
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511; it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back at least five car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud. Snowplow operators will pull over when it is safe to do so to allow traffic build-up to pass.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. They may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.