Sabrina Boe, left, looks at her burned apartment Monday during her first visit since the fire that destroyed it early that morning. She was at her mother's home at the time of the fire. Michael Vosburg / Forum Photo Editor
'Just lucky to be alive' tenant says after Fargo apartment fire
Emily Staiger doesn't know why she woke up, but she's glad she did.
The 20-year-old had removed the batteries from the smoke alarm in her south Fargo apartment unit Sunday evening because it kept beeping after hamburger grease briefly flared up in a frying pan.
She awoke about 1 a.m., smelled smoke, opened her bedroom door and found the kitchen ablaze.
"I'm just lucky to be alive," she said.
Are you a newspaper subscriber but you don't have a Digital Access account yet? You can activate your account here: Activate All Access.
You will need your subscription account number and phone number. Not sure if you have an account? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help you.