Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Looking Back

Email

10 Years Ago Items from the Tribune, January 13, 2000

The City of Morris plans to make some major improvements to the City's Industrial Park. The annexation of property that will connect the Industrial Park to Highway 59 is almost complete. Assuming the State Planning Agency approves the annexation, the land will be considered annexed 30 days after today's publication of the ordinance. Once the annexation is completed, the City will have the land needed to connect Industrial Boulevard, a street in the Industrial Park, with Highway 59.

Advertisement

Stevens Community Medical Center has achieved accreditation from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations as a result of its demonstrated compliance with the Joint Commission's nationally recognized health care standards. The Board of Directors for the Stevens Community Medical Center expressed their pride in the recent JCAHO process by sending a letter to each employee stating," We are extremely pound of your accomplishments and what they represent regarding quality patient care. Our accreditation signifies to those we serve our commitment to quality improvement."

25 Years Ago Items taken from the Tribune of Jan 10, 1985

The Stevens County Commissioners began their annual meeting on Tuesday with the swearing in of new Commissioner Grace Staebler and reelected Commissioners Paul Larson and Wally Staples. Larson was re-elected chairman of the County Board and Staples was re-elected vice chairman. They re-appointed Leo Benham as the ag inspector, Dr. Michael Busian as the coroner and health officer, and Charles Glasrud as the assistant county attorney.

The Morris City Council voted to continue the Morris Sun and Tribune as the official newspaper and the Citizens Bank, Morris State Bank, and First Federal Savings Bank as the official depositors for the city. Dwain Benson was elected Mayor Pro-tem, replacing Skip Sherstad, who served last year when Mayor Beyer had to be away.

50 Years Ago Items taken from the Tribune of January 22, 1960

The new University of Minnesota Morris, scheduled to open its doors for the first time next Sept. 26, offers a definite challenge to the people of this area and particularly to the people of Morris, Dean Rodney Briggs told members of the Chamber of Commerce at its annual meeting in the First Lutheran dining hall on Tuesday evening. The complete cooperation and help of the area residents will insure the success of the new college right from the start. The complete cooperation and help of the area residents will insure the success of the new college. The immediate job for everyone interested in the college is to aid in securing students for the UMM for next year.

The second and last presentation of the Morris Kiwanis Club's big Variety Show will be given in the auditorium of Edson Hall, on the campus of the University of Minnesota, Morris, tonight. Receipts from the show are earmarked for the fund that is being raised by the West Central Educational Development Association to buy supplies and equipment for the new college branch of the university that will open here next fall.

The second annual "Operation Air Lift" staged by the Hancock-Morris Flying Club and the Morris Flying Club will be at the Morris Municipal airport next Sunday, with all receipts from the project going to the New March of Dimes. In "Operation Air Lift" the members of the two flying clubs will offer plane rides on the basis of one cent per pound of weight of the passenger, with a minimum charge of one dollar. All pilots who will take part have commercial pilots' licenses.

90 Years Ago Items taken from the Tribune of January 23, 1920

The local Masonic Lodge has purchased the McCoy building on Atlantic Avenue, which is occupied by G. W. Suckstorff. The former owner of the building was J. M. McCoy of St. Paul. The Masons are using the second floor for their meetings at the present time and no plans for remodeling the building have been made as yet.

Company K has been officially notified that its Enfield rifles, model 1917, are to be called in, and Springfield rifles, model 1903, are to be issued. It is not known exactly when this change will take place, but it will probably be within the next few weeks.

The skiing club has suffered a sudden and very violent death. On Sunday it was still living and a thing of joy. Its members betook themselves to Government Hill for the purpose of indulging in the magnificent but somewhat difficult art. There was a high jump, and a very hard stone, and unmanageable skis, and the combination of these brought grief upon the mayor, and in a lesser degree, upon other club members - among whom might be mentioned, C. B. Sylvander and H. Probst. Mr. Geenty did not appear for several days afterward, and his collegues showing unmistakable evidences of the result of their outing, declared that the skiing club "was not."

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement