Minnesota state parks Web site features fall color updates
Minnesotans can follow the changing fall colors online this autumn on the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Web site . The fall color reports are provided by state parks staff across Minnesota.
These reports will also track the changing colors of native grasses and wildflowers. In addition, the reports will include notes on birds, butterflies and other wildlife migration, along with information about the berries, nuts and fruits that are ripe for picking.
The site also features a calendar of upcoming family-oriented events at Minnesota state parks and recreation areas, including:
* Sept. 26-27, Leaf Days, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Maplewood State Park (Pelican Rapids), a celebration of fall color with open-air wagon rides, refreshments, and more.
* Oct. 3, Color Crazy on the St. Croix, 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Interstate State Park (Taylors Falls), featuring a hike along the river, a leafy science program, and a fall-color creations workshop.
* Oct. 10-11, Folkssport Autumn Walk, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday, Maplewood State Park (Pelican Rapids), with a scenic walk for fun and fitness.
Fall color information can be accessed from the Minnesota state parks home page by clicking on the link to "fall color reports" in the green box at the top. Reports provide details about fall color at state parks in five geographic areas. Detailed color reports for individual state parks are linked from each state park home page. These reports are updated every Thursday throughout the fall color season.
UPLOAD FALL COLOR PHOTOS
The fall color site also includes photos submitted by the public and park staff. The photos give Web site visitors a first-hand look at fall colors as they progress throughout the season. The public can contribute current fall color photos by clicking on "fall color reports" and selecting "share your photos."
Typically, this is when and where peak color can be found in Minnesota:
* Mid- to late September - along the Canadian border
* Mid-September to early October - in the northern third of Minnesota
* Late September to early October - throughout central Minnesota
* Late September to mid-October - in the Twin Cities area
* Early to mid-October - in southern and southeastern Minnesota