Morris Area Elementary School Tiger Cub Beat 051014
A note from Principal Ken Gagner
This will be my last article for the 2013 – 2014 school year and I want to sincerely thank all of you for your support of the Morris Area District. It has been a great year for learning!
Winston Churchill once said, “You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.” A good friend shared this quote with me a few weeks ago, and for one reason or another, it really stuck. For many of us, life seems to move at a hectic pace and Mr. Churchill’s words remind us of the need for clarity and focus. Whatever your role – parent, teacher, community member, etc. – I encourage you to see the big picture in life and realize the majority of our resources need to move us in that direction. There will be plenty of ‘barking dogs’ along the way; feed those needing to be fed and ignore the others.
As always, if you have any questions or would just like to visit, please stop in; this is your school!
1. The last day of school for students will be Monday, June 2. The day will conclude with an awards program in our concert hall starting at 2 p.m. The year-end MOSAIC celebration will be Friday, May 30, starting at 2:15 p.m., also in the concert hall.
2. Late Start: School will begin two hours late on May 14.
3. Congratulations to the Morris Area Elementary School fifth grade Math Masters team that placed first out of 45 teams in a competition held April 25, in Alexandria. Kenny Soderberg placed first of 243 students in the Math Fact Drill section of the competition. Team members are Kenny Soderberg, Madi Solvie, Sequoia Wyckoff, Mason Dougherty and Josh Rohloff. The fifth and sixth grade teams are coached by Lisa Denzer.
4. We are taking registrations for fall 2014 kindergarten students. Please contact the office if you have a child eligible for kindergarten. Please note that school will start for grades 1 to 12 on Tuesday, Sept. 2, and for kindergarten students on Thursday, Sept. 4.
5. On the Elementary Home webpage we have added an Upcoming Events link. Check this site for dates and times of all upcoming special events. In addition to the Events link, you can access the school lunch menu, individual teacher sites, assessment schedules, and published work from our monthly MAES Student Authors.
6. The next dental outreach clinic is scheduled for May 28 at MAES. Children covered by Minnesota Health Care Programs or Minnesota Medical Assistance are eligible for this free dental care. Appointments must be made in advance by calling 1-320-815-5711.
7. Parents: Look for your 2014-2015 Back-to-School letters the second week of August! Important information – including your child’s teacher assignment and school supply list – will be included. The Supply List and letter will also be posted on the elementary section of the school district’s website (www.morris.k12. mn.us).
8. Reminder from the bus garage: Please let Deann Recker know of any address changes over the summer: 320-589-3932 firstname.lastname@example.org
9. The Memory Books are here! We have ordered extras if you didn’t pre-order a book. If you would like to purchase a Memory Book they will be available in the elementary office. The cost will be $14.
10. The Morris Area Public Schools Foundation would like to express a sincere thank you to all of our Donors this past year. We truly feel that Morris Area is exceptional due to the staff, students, community and your continued support! Feel free to visit the school's website for more information, http://www.morris.k12. mn.us/. Under the "District" tab, click on the "Foundation" link. Feel free to contact the Advisory Board with any questions or comments: Amy Ekren, Mary Erholtz, Dick Felstul, Danielle Heil, Linda Holland, Renee Konz, Paul LeTendre, Lori Moser or Mary Zosel.
11. The Elementary Book Fair will be open 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. daily from May 20 to 22. Children will bring home an information sheet as the date approaches as to when their class will visit, however parents and the public are invited to come at any time. The fair is located in the Elementary Media Center.
Dates to Remember
May 12 to May 21: NWEA Spring testing, Grades 1-8
May 13: Sixth grade history project open house
May 13: Family Fun Night (Title 1 students/families) 7:00 p.m. MAES Cafeteria
May 14: Two hour late start
May 16: Young Writer’s Conference (Omnibus Students)
May 19: Fitness Fun Day
May 20 to 22: Spring Book Fair
May 23: Grade 1 / Chahinkapa Zoo
May 23: Grade 5 class trip to the Twin Cities
May 30: MOSAIC Celebration / 2:15 p.m. Concert Hall
June 2: Last day of school / Awards Day presentation – 2:00 p.m.