Nevis grass fire extinguished; homeowner cited
Nevis firefighters doused a grass fire Tuesday afternoon caused by a homeowner who'd dumped the ashes from his wood stove on a debris pile hours earlier.
"I guess there must have been some cinders still in there," said Romke Zylstra, who lives off Highway 34 east of Nevis.
"When I got home I saw the smoke and thought my barn was on fire," Zylstra said. "The wife had already called the fire department."
The DNR issued Zylstra a citation for starting the fire.
Are you a newspaper subscriber but you don't have a Digital Access account yet? You can activate your account here: Activate All Access.
You will need your subscription account number and phone number. Not sure if you have an account? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help you.