Minnesota manufacturing companies, including several in western and central Minnesota, are inviting the general public to tour their facilities next week during the Minnesota Tour of Manufacturing week.
According to the state Department of Employment and Economic Development, manufacturing is the largest employing industry in southwest and south central Minnesota, Manufacturing jobs are in high demand in Minnesota and manufacturers want to let the public see what local businesses do, experience the high level of technology in manufacturing today, and be exposed to the exciting career opportunities in manufacturing.
Manufacturers are opening their doors the week of Oct. 22 in all parts of the state. This year manufacturers have chosen one particular date during the week for tours.
According to information from the Department of Employment and Economic Development, the manufacturers in this region have scheduled the following times for tours:
* Massman Automation Design in Villard -- 2 to 7 p.m. Oct. 23;
* Ridgewater College in Hutchinson -- 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 23;
* Marr Valve Company in Granite Falls -- 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 24;
* Case New Holland in Benson -- 12:30 to 5 p.m. Oct. 25;
* Southern Minnesota Beet Sugar Cooperative in Renville -- 2 to 4 p.m. Oct. 25;
* SpecSys, either in Benson, Granite Falls or New Ulm -- 2:30 to 6:30 p.m. Oct. 25;
* WASP Inc. in Glenwood -- 3 to 6 p.m. Oct. 26.
More information about each of these manufacturers, and others statewide, is available online at the Tour of Manufacturing website at www.tourofmanufacturingmn.com, including information about appropriate attire and safety equipment for the tours. Several of the locations require closed-toe shoes, for example, and some require additional safety equipment that will be provided for tour members.