Single-sort recycling begins July 1 across Stevens County
MORRIS, Minn. – Single-sort recycling will be a reality in Stevens County starting July 1.
Residents in Morris, Hancock, Chokio, Alberta and Donnelly can expect to receive new 64-gallon single-sort recycling container within the next several weeks. The navy blue containers have a sticker on the lid that highlights the materials that can be recycled.
Recycling will be picked up twice per month for city residents. Rural residents will continue to use the recycling trailers, but no longer need to sort their recyclable materials.
Under the new program, residents can recycle newspapers, aluminum cans, tin cans, glass bottles and jars, types one through seven plastic bottles, paper bags, magazines, office paper and junk mail, milk and juice boxes, phone books and cardboard.
Residents who currently sort recycling into brown paper bags can continue to collect recyclables in those bags and just put the bags in their recycling container. Plastic bags should not be recycled.
Currently, the 2,600 containers are being stored at the Lee Community Center in Morris. Staff with Engebretson and Sons Sanitary Disposal will be delivering the containers this month.
All county residents can expect to receive an informational flyer about the program from Stevens County Environmental Services.
Rural recycling schedule
Rural residents can continue to drop off their recycling at the recycling trailers around the county. The monthly schedule is:
- Alberta: First weekend of the month, south of Cargill
- Chokio: Second weekend of the month at the Stevens County Highway Garage
- Donnelly: Third weekend of the month, south of the city park
- Hancock: Second and fourth weekends of the month by the city garage
- Morris: Third Tuesday of the month at the Lee Community Center
- Morris: Fourth Tuesday of the month at the Stevens County Highway Garage
There will also be a trailer located at the Morris City Garage each day.
City recycling schedule
- East side of Morris: Second and fourth Monday of the month
- Chokio and Alberta: Second and fourth Monday of the month
- West side of Morris: Second and fourth Tuesday of the month
- Hancock and Donnelly: Second and fourth Wednesday of the month