The month of February has been very crazy here at the high school. From organization to increasing achievement, we at the high school are striving to be the best school in western Minnesota. Weather challenges have definitely been an issue as we try to maintain structure and organization. We at the high school are always trying to find different ways to push our students to be the best. We are trying to maintain structure and organization as we hope to see spring-like weather in the next month.
A couple of updates:
1. Extra-curricular activities: Winter extra-curricular season is ending or has ended. The boys and girls hockey teams finished their seasons. The gymnastics team finished their season and the boys swimming season has ended. Wrestling, boys basketball and girls basketball seasons are still going into playoffs. Speech season has started with many students competing in speech events. March is always a fun month for playoffs and competition. Please come out and watch/support our Tiger student-athletes as they perform.
2. Student Organizations: Student organizations have started their contest season. Robotics is underway during their “build season.” Students have been working very hard to build a robot for their competition in March. BPA, FFA and FCCLA students are doing projects as they get ready to compete in state and national competitions in March and April.
Over 85 percent of students here at MAHS compete/participate in two or more activities. This is a great testament to our students and parents/guardians for getting our students to be involved at MAHS.
3. Student Attendance: I am very pleased with our high school attendance this year. Our daily rate of attendance has been around 95 percent each day. This is a testament to our students and parents/guardians for getting our kids to school to achieve at high levels. Regular student attendance is the number one reason for excellence in increasing student achievement scores.
4. Student pre-registration: Students in grade 7-11 have received their 2013-14 pre-registration forms. Students will be pre-registering for courses next year via our online student information system next Thursday, Feb. 28 and Friday, March 1. Students need to register for seven classes and have their parent/guardian sign their pre-registration sheet to verify their courses.
5. College-in-the-high school courses: Morris Area High School can offer up to 17 college-in-the- high school courses that are equivalent to over 45 credits worth of college credits. Our instructors at MAHS teach courses from UMM, Southwest State and from the U of M-Twin Cities.
As a reminder to all stakeholders, our goals at the high school for the 2012-13 school year are:
• Student achievement
• School culture and climate
• Consistency and follow-through
• Communication with all stakeholders
• Students interventions and transitions
We continue as a high school to achieve these goals and continue to evaluate ourselves. We want to make sure that we are focused on our goals and our Morris Area School District core values as we move forward throughout the 2012-13 school year.
As always, we want to keep the lines of communication open between stakeholders and the school. Please contact me at 320-585-2200 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime or stop in the high school to visit.
Feb. 25-March 1: Paraprofessionals Week
March 6-9: State BPA Leadership Conference in Minneapolis
March 11: Gr. 7-12 Band concert; 7:30 p.m.
March 18: Winter Awards Night; 7 p.m.
March 19 and March 20: MCA Science testing for grades 8 and 10
March 20: Early Dismissal for students (Staff Development); 12:30 p.m.
April 16-May 2: Grades 3-11 MCA/GRAD Testing in Reading, Math and Writing