The Upper Midwest Athletic Conference (UMAC) Game of the Week is a feature that takes place each week throughout the conference portion of the season withone contest beingselected and highlightedas the UMAC Game of the Week.
Theweek'sUMAC Game of the Weekisthe women's basketball matchup between Minnesota Morris and Martin Luther on Saturday, Feb. 16 at 3 p.m. The game features last year'sUMAC Regular Season Co-Champions and2012 UMAC Tournament Championshipgame participants.
The Cougars came away with a 60-59 win in New Ulm in the first meeting between the two programs on Jan. 25. The Cougars led for much of the game, but a thrilling final four minutes that featured eight lead changes ultimately ended with a pair of free throws from Emily Mehr with five seconds to play to give UMM the win.
The first matchup was a defensive struggle, no surprise, considering the teams are the top two in the conference in points allowed and field goal percentage allowed during conference play. The Knights shot 36.3 percent from the field and held UMM to 33.3 percent for the game, but the Cougars finished with one more three-point field goal and two more free throws to secure the win.
About the Cougars
- Minnesota Morris clinched the UMAC regular season title and the No. 1 seed in the UMAC Postseason Tournament last week.
- The Cougars are riding a 14 game winning streak at the moment and have not lost a game in NCAA Division III all season.
- Saturday's game will be senior night for Emily Mehr and Kelsey Erickson, the two have won a UMAC Title each year at UMM.
- During the Cougars' 14-game winning streak they are outscoring opponents 72.7-48.5
About the Knights
-MLC enters this weekend looking to secure the No. 2 seed in the UMAC Tournament Championship and to even the season series withMinnesota Morris.
- After clinching a spot in the UMAC Postseason Tournament over the weekend, the Knights have now reached the conference tournament in each of the last five seasons.
- Alex Anthon has become an offensive force for MLC in the second half of the conference season. She has scored in double figures in each of the last five games, and is averaging 14.6 points while shooting 48.9 percent from the field, 42.1 from beyond the three-point arc, and 82.6 percent from the free-throw line during that stretch. Anthon has not allowed her play elsewhere on the court to suffer in order to score, as she is also averaging 5.6 rebounds, 3.8 assists, and 2.2 steals per game in those five games.
- MLC’s defense has held nine of its 12 conference opponents under 35-percent shooting. The Knights rank second (behind UMM) in the UMAC in field goal percentage defense (33.1 percent) during conference play.
-Minnesota Morris holds a 14-8 series lead over the Knights, having won eight of 10 in Morris.
- The Cougars have won nine of the last 11 against Martin Luther, however the two teams have split the last four meetings.
- The teamssplit the regular-season meetings a season ago.
- The Knights beat the Cougars in the championship game of the UMAC Postseason Tournament last season.
For information on other contests around the league this week, visit the UMAClive scoreboard.