The University of Minnesota, Morris men's cross country team won a meet for the first time in school history at the Crown College Invitational last Saturday in St. Bonifacius, Minn.
En route to the victory, UMM placed three runners in the top 10.
High school -- and now college -- teammates Luke Toso and Andrew Rehmann finished within one second of each other, taking third and fourth positions. They finished the 8-kilometer course strong, both running 5:18s over the last mile.
Captain Ian Philbrick, running only his second year of cross country, finished seventh in 29:02, a new personal best by 20 seconds.
1) 27:37.50 Nathan Loersch (Martin Luther College.)
2) 28:03.70 Daniel Bare (North Central University)
3) 28:19.64 Luke Toso (UMM)
4) 28:20.17 Andrew Rehmann (UMM)
5) 28:30.12 Loren Milbrath (Martin Luther College)
6) 29:01.93 Dave Calhoun (North Central)
7) 29:02.57 Ian Philbrick (UMM)
8) 29:25.01 Pedro Gonzalez (Viterbo College)
9) 29:30.79 Nate Walther (Martin Luther College)
10) 29:40.12 Matthew Behmer (Bethany Lutheran College)
With these strong finishes in the top 10, it was equally the performance of the next tier of runners (places 11-30) that secured the team win for the Cougars: Denver Rogalla, Nick Fox, Ted Gray, Dugan Flanders and Greg Schumacher.
Other UMM runners include:
17) 30:25.21 Denver Rogalla
18) 30:36.67 Nick Fox
19) 30:47.64 Ted Gray
23) 31:12.50 Dugan Flanders
27) 31:41.32 Greg Schumacher
31) 31:58.45 Matt Ellison
39) 32:43.98 Andrew Birnstengel
42) 33:09.35 David Sampers
47) 34:28.37 John Jones
48) 34:38.39 Zach Smith
49) 34:39.89 Matt Huseby
55) 36:25.39 Mike Unger