UPDATE: Fire destroys Morris home
A late Sunday afternoon fire destroyed a Morris home.
Morris and Hancock firefighters responded to the blaze at the James and Tari Morales at 462nd Avenue at about 4 p.m. Sunday.
The family escaped the home but the fire destroyed the garage. The roof also caught fire, the interior of the home and many belongings sustained water damage and a vehicle in the garage also burned, said Morris Fire Chief Doug Storck.
A state fire marshal inspected the home Monday and determined that the fire was accidental and originated in a garbage can in the garage. The estimated value of the loss is more than $400,000, Storck said.
Firefighters were at the home for about four hours and were assisted by the Morris Police Department, the Stevens County Sheriff's Office and the county's Ambulance Service.