Updated: Highways 10 and 210 reopen, parts of I-94 remain closed
DETROIT LAKES -- (10:50 a.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation and the Minnesota State Patrol will open Highway 210 between Fergus Falls and Breckenridge at 11:00 a.m.
Interstate 94 between Alexandria and Moorhead remains closed. It will remain closed while crews work to remove semis from the ditch.
Highway 10 between Moorhead and Audubon re-opened at 10:30 this morning.
A no travel advisory remains in effect for west central Minnesota. Driving conditions are very difficult because of scattered icy sections, drifting due to strong winds and compacted snow.
MnDOT reminds motorists to be patient while snowplow operators work to improve driving conditions. The majority of snowplow crashes take place during “clean up” when motorists resume their normal speeds.
After a storm motorists should:
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511; it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back at least five car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud. Snowplow operators will pull over when it is safe to do so to allow traffic build-up to pass.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. They may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.